from David
I visited my kids and grandkids over the Christmas holidays. (I am 71 years young). I have known the Lord for 51 years, and I have lead many to the Lord, as well as leading many small groups, and teaching in a Christian high school and in a seminary; ten years each. But what I experienced on my trip home was new to me. Before leaving South Carolina I bought "You Were Born For This" in the airport.
On my way to Houston to change planes I was reading the book. Not having read very far I told the Lord that I was going to put myself at His disposal to use me to bring a miracle to someone before I get home. I remembered that I am not to look for the target, but am to wait for the Lord to point him/her out.
A large, well dressed and groomed man was right beside me. I was tempted, but I waited. Then he spoke to me, "That looks like a good book." I said that it was and he asked what it was about. I told him what little I knew so far. "It is about God wanting all His believers to bless at least one person every day by bringing something good into thier lives."
The idea of God wanting to bring good into someone's life really struck him; Keith is his name. I asked if he knew the Lord Jesus, and his answer was that he grew up in the church. I asked pointed questions and learned that he believes the Bible to be true from cover to cover. I asked if he had ever made a personal commitment to Jesus, asking Him to be his Lord and Savior, explaining the difference between knowledge of and knowing and knowing Him personally. He said, "no, I haven't," and then asked the girl sitting on his other side, "What are you doing?" She was a 24 year old lady and answered, "I am making a list of things I need to do to prepare for my wedding."
Keith was very interested, as he had already told me that he was 44 yrs old and wondered if there was something wrong with him because he was still single. I listened and then did something I never do, inserted myself into the conversation. As she was going through the list I leaned over and asked, "How about pre-marital counseling?"
"Oh, the priest is going to do that in April." (the wedding being scheduled in July).
She then asked, "What is that for?"
I went through a short list like discussing who will handle the finances, how many children you want to have, etc. Then I mentioned thhat they should decide ahead what religion and denomination they will raise the children in. She was listening intently and stated that she had never thought of these things. She had been listening when I shared the Gospel with Keith, but I hadn't the opportunity to repeat it to her.
As we were getting ready to land in Houston Keith said, "I know God put this all together. He put us together for this trip, because I needed to hear all that you have told me. I know He put us together."
I was overwhelmed and was praising the Lord, fairly quietly outwardly, but jumping for joy within.
But the story goes on. I changed planes in Houston and nothing out of the ordinary occurred. Landing in Ontario, California, my brother was supposed to pick me up. He wasn't there. Mine was the last flight of the day and it was nearing midnight. All other passengers were gone. The policeman who controls parking in the loading zones was gone, all the taxis were gone with one exception, and I asked him what he was doing. He answered that he could not leave me there alone. He asked where I was going and I answered, "Apple Valley." He responded that he lived out there, a significant distance from where we were. A coincidence? I realized the Lord was setting up another encounter.
I asked what it would cost and he figured $85. He saw my involuntary reaction and said it would be a lot more if he put it on the meter. I had $87 in my wallet and I rarely have that much with me. My brother still failed to show and, fearing he could have had an accident, as he is very reliable, I accepted the ride. Starting off with small talk I caught a few words that indicated he might know the Lord, so I asked him outright.
"YES!" he said with great excitement; reaching down and grabbing his Bible, he said that he reads it every day.
We shared some stories and he then became very quiet. "I am going to open up to you," he said. "I came to the Lord fifteen years ago and felt He called me to be a pastor. I started preparing while I tried to support my wife and kids. It was very hard and preparing for the pastorate fell by the wayside. I am now feeling guilty about not doing what God wanted me to do."
I told him to think about it and ask himself if he really thinks God called him to be a pastor, if no the problem is over, and if yes we will go from there.
He was quiet awhile, then a definite, "Yes." So I asked him if God told him when. Quiet. Then a definite, "No."
"So, you haven't missed it yet," I said.
He brightened up. I told him to start preparing so he will be ready when God says it is time. He said he signed up for a 2 year Bible course about two weeks ago, but hadn't done anything with it yet. I told him to do the course so he will be prepared when God says, "Now!"
He said he would, with much enthusiasm. I could hardly believe what followed. As he dropped me off at my brother's house he read the same script Keith had read. He said he was convinced the Lord had put all this together because he needed to hear everything I had said to him that night. It wasn't until a few days later I read about carrying God's money for Him, but I know that $85 was in my pocket for him, as he had stated he was struggling to properly support his family.